10.07.2007

So I love London!!

I suppose I should start with where I left off, shouldn't I?

I think....yes, September 28.
*Note: This post will be considerable shorter than the last one and probably not many pictures since I still have to put some on my computer. Sorry guys....but I will put them up when I get a chance to get them on my computer.

28 September 2007: Orientation and settling in

So today was the day we were talked through stuff pertaining to the FSU flats and how they run and stuff. It was uber boring, but very important all the same. We also got grocery money so that meant, of course, the grocery store so we could all eat - which is very important in the long run. I greatly suggest it. :-) Other than that, today was pretty much - "Hey, lets get to know London and finish unpacking and settling in". Not too terribly exciting....

29 September 2007: All classes

Yeah, so we had ALL of our classes on a Saturday. That was not very much fun. I suddenly had MOUNTAINS of homework and became very stressed very quickly with all that I am being expected to accomplish this semester. Let's see, that's: Do homework, do well in class by doing homework, explore London, do everything I want to do in London, have fun on mini free travels, and still do well in class without falling asleep, etc. So much is expected of us. It feels like we are having to cram in so much stuff in the middle because we've missed a month of classes so it just is not a good day.....The rest of the day was devoted to getting a head start on my homework. I don't think I got very far, but I sure made the attempt to - cause that's what counts, right? Right!

30 September 2007: Church and guided bus tour of London

We went to church today, which is like a 20 minute Tube ride from our flat - that equals like 10 miles.....its REALLY far. So yeah, that meant that I got to ride the Tube, which is one of my favorite things to do. It's dirty, but it's so much fun. So yeah, church. Afterwards, we went to London Wal-Mart - I am not kidding. It's called ASDA and it's two floors with an escalator for the baskets. It's way cool!! We had lunch there in the cafe and that was really good. Then, Tony (remember our awesome bus driver who really knew his stuff? yeah, he showed up again!!) picked us up for our bus tour of London. I was stupid and didn't bring my camera to church so I didn't get ANY pictures of our tour....I wanted to cry. But our tour took us ALL around London. I saw London Bridge and the Tower Bridge. I saw where Diagon Alley and Gringotts Bank are (for those Harry Potter fans in the audience). I saw the Millenium Bridge (a.k.a. the Wobbley Bridge cause when it was first put up in 2000, it shook so bad they had to close it and fix it) and soOOmany places to shop - like Chocolate stores and clothes stores and, well, just about anything!!! It took about 4 hours to get around the city. We stopped at St. Paul's Cathedral, which is where John Donne gave his last sermon - the no man is an island sermon about the tolling of the bells, if you know what I'm talking about - that was also where parts of My Fair Lady and the bank in Mary Poppins were filmed. It's so beautiful!! So yeah, we did that and then we made it back to the flats where we had a party for all the September, rather the one September birthday, we had in the group. It was a blast! I gave about 6 people massages and almost put one guy to sleep....I'm glad he was happy. Then from there I did more homework (can you see a pattern developing here? free time = homework right now until I can get enough ahead) and went to bed. Ahh, wonderful sleep!

01 October 2007: Class

This was pretty much the only thing I did that day. We had classes and I spent the rest of the afternoon doing more homework becasue I'm so worried that I won't have everything done in time - and trust me, they're asking a lot of us in such a short period of time....it's crazy!! That was that....not exciting at all I'm afraid.

02 October 2007: Class and field trip!!

So yes, we had class. And after class we had about an hour until we went on a field trip. And guess what we did?! We saw the Merchant of Venice...IN THE GLOBE THEATRE!!! The play SOo GOOD! I was so very impressed. I got the actual experience of being a groundling in the Globe. It was a neat experience. The groundlings are part of the play - literally. The cast comes through and interacts with them, pushes through them, and really involves them in whatever play they do. Even though I stood for three hours, it was SOO worth it! The actors were so funny. I must admit, Shakespeare really comes alive when you see it how it was supposed to be done. I had such a great time!!

So we did that (and I did get pictures of that, but they've not made it onto my computer yet...but you will see pics when I get to them) and then I went back to the flat and hung out. I decided that homework was over-rated and just did nothing for a while....until it finally got to me and I did some...better to be prepared, I suppose.

03 October 2007: Class

Most days, Sunday afternoon through Thursday, will be consisting of class. If anything else of note comes up, I will let you know. Actually, something of great note happened today....I went to the Odeon at Leischter Square with a group of girls at 12:30 (this is important....sort of). We took the Tube and found several people standing near the entrance - so we stood with them. This was NOT by chance. We knew exactly what we were doing. If you don't know, The Odeon is the cinema in London at which all the movie premieres happen. If you haven't guessed, we went to a movie premiere!! I know! Exciting stuff, isn't it?!??! Oh yeah, the movie was Stardust. The one with Claire Danes, Charlie Cox, Michelle Pfiffer, Sienna Miller, Robert DeNero, and Ricky Gervais. Yeah, we got there at 12:30 and STOOD until 8 pm....yeah...I think I sat down for....5 minutes...? Something like that. But we got a front row action view right at the entrance to the theatre. It was SUCH a good spot! So we watched all the people set up the stuff - and they had a green carpet, but it looked really good with all the decorations they put up. It looked like the woods in the middle of London - it was pretty sweet. So yeah. People started showing up at about 6 and we were there ready with our paper and cameras. Charlie Cox was the first one we saw. I got his autograph, his picture, AND he touched my hand! He is so cute and really, REALLY nice. He came up and talked to our group for a second before he made his way down the rest of the excited crowd. He was the ONLY person who signed autographs for EVERYONE. Yeah...then Michelle Pfiffer showed up. She didn't sign any autographs, which was a bummer, but at least I can say I've seen her in person. Sienna Miller also made an appearance. She signed autographs for one of the girls in our group, but had talked too long with the press to get many in. She was really nice, but in a very big hurry....oh well. I really liked her dress. Ricky Gervais showed up and signed some, but I didn't get his either. I did get several pictures of them all. It was a great night and we (the Americans) got interviewed like 8 times by different people. I got a camera stuck in my face a lot and it was pretty intimidating to say the least. but it was fun and now there's a video of us screaming somewhere on the internet. Metro.co.uk - somewhere on that website we are there.....and probably other places, too. good times. I also got a poster from the premiere that i intend to hang in my room at home (its pretty big....like 5 x 3). Ahhh...good times, good times. Then we took the tube back and we got some interesting looks, but it was all worth it. yay!!!

04 October 2007: Class

Yeah class, and I went to the British museum for the first time for my Bible class. If you EVER go to London, you have to spend like three days in the museum. No joke. It would take anyone three days to really appreciate all the stuff in there. I'm glad I get to spend two months in it. There is SOO much to see and learn about!! yay!

05 October 2007: Free day and a play

We didn't have classes today so I slept late (this is a friday) - by late I mean 11:15. Then I did MORE homework - but this was good. I needed to. Speech, test, reading, etc. Yay....
Kaity, Jordan and I also went to a play. We saw Holding Fire in the (guess where) Globe Theatre!! It's not a Shakespeare play, but it was the same cast as the Merchant of Venice which made it better - it felt familiar. We were once again groundlings and once again, we were interacted with. I even had my standing space interrupted for the first half by a wagon - it was just pushed and tied where i was standing....it got kind of annoying, but still - i had a great time. This was the last night for this play because the season was ending. i got to see the play with the playwright and the director. it was just too cool! This play was also astounding. It would be kind of hard to explain, but it's during a revolution in the early 1900's in England about getting voting rights. It was sad, exciting, happy, funny, and everything in between. the only thing I wish i had been able to do would be to meet the cast, but they didnt come out and i just didnt ask cause it was getting late, and cold, and we needed to get back to the flat. but i still enjoyed it. once in a lifetime chance perhaps that i got to do twice. the globe is SOO COOL!!

06 October 2007: Free day....so I had fun!

Yeah, I slept late again, but not as late. got up about 10, did a small bit of homework and then got ready for a day of outings. Kaity, Jordan and I went to King's Cross Station to see Platform 9 and 3/4. Honestly, not a big deal but i did get to see it, touch it, and walk around the Station. It's very old looking/feeling but I thought it was pretty amazing. Then we went to Hyde Park. I saw the statue of Peter Pan, played around with the birds, and was able to really relax for the first time in a while. We walked around for almost 4 hours and we still did NOT cover half of the park - it is just entirely too big. I didnt even make it to Kensington gardens at the bottom of Hyde park (from the entrance). It took kaity and i almost an hour to find Peter Pan....but it was a nice leisure walk. Afterwards, we went to the ORIGINAL Hard Rock Cafe just down the street from Hyde Park. The food was AMAZING!!! i didnt buy anything at the store....at least i havent yet. i dont really feel like dishing out $40 for a shirt....it jsut doesnt seeem right...but i do have to go back there because theres a bookstore i really want to check out. sounds like fun so im going ... sometime in the very near future. but we did that and made our way back home where i stayed up late doing nothing important except SOME, not lots of, homework and went to bed. ahh, sleep.....

07 October 2007: Church and...nothing else special.

Went to church of course and came back, had about an hour to finish an assignment before class this afternoon because it was due. I did write a speech due at 10:30 in the morning and its still too long....but im sure its going to be ok. Im really not that worried.

So there you go. you are ALL caught up with the events of my life in London. Let me just say right now that I love this city. I've always told myself that i want to live in a small city, but im loving HUGE city life. i wouldnt have to buy a car cause i could get ANYWHERE using the Tube (which is one of my favorite things to do!) and the people are super nice. i also like the fact that if you cant take the Tube, you can walk. its great exercise. i would be ok with not having to drive EVERYWHERE all the time. the downside to London though is that it's the dirtiest city i have ever seen. if i put on here some of the things ive seen while walking, you'd get sick...so I wont, but trust me, it can be nasty!!

This is where I leave you until next time. Love you all and I WELCOME any comments you have to make. email them, facebook me, whatever. I wish you all well this week. until next time, friends!!

in Him,
Aimee

No comments: