10.24.2007

Oh look - another one of the boring England posts! Hooray!

Hey y'all! So sorry I've not been doing well with this thing recently. Things have been pretty stinkin' busy over the past almost two weeks. I've not gotten time to sit down and write anything. BUT...now is as good a time as any to tell y'all what I have been up to.

So, once again, let us start our adventure where we left off. That would be....ah, yes. The 8th of October (oh that was a good day).

08 October 2007 - A bird's Eye view
So, of course we had classes today - it was a Monday. yay.... BUT, we went on a field trip (yay field trip!). We met at our designated time and set out, riding on the Tube to our stop, gettin separated several times and winding up on a street that granted a magnificent view of...The London Eye. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, I rode the London Eye. For someone who does not appreciate heights as others do, I had a fantastic time. The Eye was built in 2000, so it is fairly new. It's VERY big and white, but, oh, so much fun to ride! After waiting for our group to get together again, we set off, up the ramp, past the security guards (who only asked if you had dangerous items on you....) and into the moving pod. This part was interesting - not only was the pod moving very slowly in a circle to ensure the riders do not ride upside down, the wheel was also moving, which granted a fun lurch for a split second. And then I was on. Our whole group was able to fit in one pod (which shows you how big they are - we have almost 30 people). I saw some of the coolest things from a bird's eye perspective. I saw Big Ben and Westminster Palace, the long Thames River, Buckingham Palace, and Paris! No, not really...but that would have been cool. I did see an Eiffel Tower, though, but not the real one. Apparantly, London has one at the very end of the city (some probably 40 miles away). I would definately do it again. It was more than worth the £13 spent. Oh, and just to clear things up - it is not a ferris wheel. So it looks like it, I don't think Londoners would get a kick out of any American calling the Eye a ferris wheel - it's like calling Mount Rushmore a slab of rock - there is to much more to the Eye than meets the eye :-) I had a great time and I got many pictures. Good thing it wasn't raining....

The London Eye!


Wesstminter Palace from the London Eye


Looking up the Thames from the Eye

09 October 2007: We Shall Never Surrender....to Tolkien
So, it's Tuesday. That means field trip!! We do not have classes on Tuesday, in case you were not aware. We use Tuesdays to travel around England and see many different things. Today was our Blenheim Palace and Oxford day. Wahoo! I am not exactly sure where Blenheim Palace is (we never know where we are....) but it definately was beautiful. Blenheim Palace is home to the Duke of Marlborough and has been since it was built about 300 years ago. This was also the place Winston Churchill was born. I saw the bed he was born in, the room, his first outfit, and locks of his childhood hair! It was so cool! I also learned that every one of Winston Churchill's names was a family name. The first Duke was a Churchill, and the names Winston and Spencer (his middle name) were names of former Dukes or their wives families. Winston was actually the cousin of the Duke at the time he was born, and, if I am not mistaken, lived at the palace for several years. His pride and joy were his toy soldiers of Napoleon's army. They are on display in the palace and were a gift to the Palace from him because Winston wanted everyone to enjoy them as much as he did. There are over 400 pieces and are so beautiful!! I loved Blenheim Palace - very, very intersting and jam packed with history. At one point, it was a school and a hospital during the wars. It even has its own organ! The present Duke and his family live there still and this Duke-dom is the only line in which the oldest daughter can become Duchess if her brothers are dead. I thought that was cool :-)


Blenheim Palace!


The lake in front of Blenheim Palace
*******************************************
After Blenheim, we went to Oxford. Now, you might be thinking - Oh, cool! You got to see Oxford University! But in fact, there is no Oxford University campus. Yeah, I know! Shock and surprise! Oxford University, as well as Cambridge, is actually a compilation of over 36 other colleges under one umbrella called Oxford Univeristy. Wherever the British have land, there is an Oxford Univeristy campus. 36 spread out around the world - you can even go to Australia and study!! There were two colleges in the town, but I never really got a definate answer if they were part of the university or not. I did get some cool Oxford wear, though. I do plan on going back, by the way, because one of my favorite movies was partly filmed there, but I am not going to get anyone's hopes up just yet, in case I don't get to go back. I liked Oxford - but not as much as I had liked York or Edinburgh. It just felt different, not that it was bad or anything, cause it wasn't. Oh, and for those of you who are J.R.R. Tolkien fans or C.S. Lewis fans, the pub where those two went all the time and wrote at is in Oxford - The Eagle and Child. I did not have time to go to it, but if I go back, that will be another thing I will take the time to do. Most everything you want to do in Oxford you can do in about a day. We only spent 2 hours there and most of that was a walking tour so not much free time. But totally want to go back.


This is part of Oxford Church, where a movie was recently filmed. If I go back, I can tell you what movie, but not yet....


This is the 800 year old pub I want to go back and eat in

10 October 2007: O, Canada!
So, today was comprised mostly of classes and me doing homework. But that evening, we had a lovely dinner compliments of Jason (one of our 4 boys). He is Canadian, and in the spirit of true Canadianism, he had Thanksgiving....for 30 people. The holiday was actually two days before that, but he didn't know on Monday if he was going to celebrate it. But he decided to and it was absolutely wonderful! We had turkey legs, boiled potatoes, veggies, bread, and dessert. We played games and just had a really great time being together as a group since we do not do it very much - or hardly at all. It was so much fun! I gave massages and put people to sleep. It was an awesome night. Thank you, Jason!! Thank you, Canada!!

11 October 2007: War gives us the most interesting places....
So today, Dr. Hopper, the International Programs administrator, spent a coupld of days with us in London before departing for Africa and Italy to visit the other international programs. We had class as usual and then Dr. H took us to the Imperial War Museum where we had lunch and spent as much time as we wanted to perusing the many artifacts in the museum. We did spend some time in the Camouflage exhibition they were having. That was SOO neat! I learned so much. I had no idea that ships were painted in camouflage while on the water. Seems pretty pointless to me but I guess it worked.....They were not painted in the usual colors of brown, dark green, beige, and black. Nope, these ships had bright blue, pink, and even purple. That doesn't sound like it would help anything would it? But the exhibit was very interesting and I enjoyed it a lot. After that, I went and explored the submarines, and went into the Holocaust exhibit (cause, ya know, I like history and World War II is one of my favorites). That was heart-breaking. I did not get to spend as much time there as I had wanted because I had homework to finish, but I can always go back. It doesn't cost anything to go, so it would be a really good day-trip. This is the kind of museum that would entertain anyone from any age and I highly recommend it - just FYI in case you were making a trip to London soon :-)

*Imperial War Museum


*Missile gun in Camo in War Museum


*Me! In a sub!!


*Me! In another sub!!

Then I went back and did massive homework time....

12 October 2007: Free day!
This whole weekend was devoted to the doing of homework. I had a science test Monday that I had thought was the following week, so I had 5 chapters to read and take quizzes on and study as well as my Bible assignment and paper due Sunday afternoon. The good thing was that I did finish all my homework and I made an A on my test. Wahoo! Saturday, though, Kaity and I went down Oxford Street (THE shopping street in London) looking for one store. We didn't find it, but we did find other things, like a 3 foot tall chocolate cake and a cheap place to have high tea. Oxford street is so cool!


*This is the chocolate cake we saw in the shop window. Doens't it look wonderful?!

That was the extent of my weekend. Homework and a few hours of Oxford Street. Too much studying, not enough social time. Seems like the summing up of my life in just two days, doesn't it?

14 October 2007: Just another manic Sunday!!
Yeah, it was just classes. They were an hour later because of a festival the Tullos' wanted to go to. They are the trip leaders and some of the coolest people I've ever met. We all love them to pieces, and their son Ian, too.

But class....and then more studying for me - a Brit Lit test and a Science test....oh boy.

15 October 2007: Double classes....yikes!
But it really wasn't that bad because NOBODY had double classes. It was great. I made A's on both of my tests and spent the rest of the night relaxing and reveling in the thought that I did not have to do homework until the weekend. It was so nice to just sit and do nothing for a while. I watched a movie, ate junk food and went to bed a little early. Yay! It was so nice to be with myself and nothingness.

16 October 2007: It's Tuesday, again!
What does that mean?! FIELD TRIP!!! Today was the field trip that I had been looking forward to for a very, very, very long time. Today, we were going to Stonehenge!!

This is a place shrouded in mystery and a country deep in superstition. Crop circles are fairly common in this area, which gives all the farmers a really good reason to be uber superstitious, which they are. The area is also surrounded by burial mounds, which the farmers do NOT touch. I like that. Disturbing the dead just sounds....disturbing.

But really, Stonehenge was so cool!! I had been warned that it was small, don't expect much, but it was actually larger than I had pictured, which was a nice surprise. We are not allowed to walk on it anymore. See, there is this highway that forks on either side of Stonehenge and it has been there for quite a while (the highway). Over the years, the vibrations from the highway have worked its way to the foundation of Stonehenge, which is RIGHT NEXT to the highway, and started making it unstable and start sinking. I don't blame the earth. If I had 50 ton rocks just standing on for 2000 years, I'd give way eventually, too. There is talk of moving the highway, but I don't know how definate that is right now. I wish they would. It would make the countryside so much less interrupted. But I really enjoyed it. It was very windy and cold and rainy, but that did not take away from the magnificence of the place. I took quite a few pictures, and some of them I am in :-) but I had a really great time. I also bought stuff for my classroom, which made me excited. I honestly can't wait to be a teacher and share all of my experiences with my students. I only wish I had had teachers like that in high school. Learning history from the point of view of someone who has been there and seen it is so much better than reading about it in a textbook. Personal pictures are so much more entertaining. Yay for my major!!!


*This is my first look at Stonehenge!!


*This is what it used to look like...


*This is me!


*Oh, look! A good picture of Stonehenge

After that, we headed to Bath - home of the Roman Baths, which I did not see. Instead, I went to the Fashion Museum, which was actually pretty interesting. Of course, many of the things on display were ridiculous, like today, but none-the-less interesting to see how fashion has changed over the decades. I would have gone to visit Jane Austin's house, but I did not have time. Instead, I went to the Rugby store and bought a Rugby ball. Yay!! This was one of the few items on my "have to get this in London" list, just to be able to say that I had bought it there. I found it pretty exciting. It smells good - like new. That was the extent of the day. We got back about 6:30 that evening and us girls spent the rest of the night hanging out and talking. I love the girls in my flat. It's always so nice to be able to spend time with them all.


*This is the oldest bridge in England that still has shops going across it


*This is the river that runs through Bath

17 October 2007: Mmm...Free travel
Today was the day that marked the first day of the first 4-day free travel. Since I had not planned on going anywhere, I and the rest of my flat, stayed and had a good time. Wednesday and Thursday were spent hanging out in the flat, watching movies, and relaxing. This was much needed. Rejuvination time is awesome!! That means no classes for 4 days. Wahoo!! Several people did go out of town, but not many. But yes, nice to relax and enjoy being in grand ole London towne. Hah!

18 October 2007: Mmm...Free travel
Still free traveling people abroad and me still hanging out. BUT!!! I did go somewhere. I went to Her Majesty's Theatre and saw The Phantom of the Opera. That was really good. Not the best I have ever seen, but not terrible. It could have been better, but I am not complaining. The set was fantastic and whoever did the costumes was amazing. The acting was...in my humble opinion, mediocre and the singing could have been much better. Still, I enjoyed my night with Her Majesty and the girls from Flat 5 (that's my flat, in case you didn't know). After that, we took a short walk to Westminter Palace because I wanted to get some pictures of Big Ben at night. Oh my goodness, I got some really good ones. I was super excited and proudly braved the cold for Ben. I even heard him bong!! It was the most beautiful sound I've heard in a long time. *sigh* I love Ben. I always enjoy seeing him.


*Her Majesty's Theatre where Phantom of the Opera was playing. Pretty isn't it?


*This is me and Kaity (a little blurry) after the show


*The Eye across the Thames


*The ever famous Parliament and Clock Tower picture from across the Thames river


*Big Ben just before he bonged!

19 October 2007: Drinking a cuppa
Early this morning, Kaity, Jordan, and I got up early and went to the National Portrait Gallery off of Trafalgar Square. This was for one of our assignments for Humanities 270. I actually enjoyed it. The finding the picture part was not fun, but looking at all of the different pictures of famous people, kings, queens, writers, composers, etc. was a very nice ride. I saw Handel, and George Washington (like, first president of the United States), and Oliver Cromwell, and Jonne Donne, and Milton and many others. And that was all only on one floor. There are still three other floors to explore. Yay!! After we did that, Kaity, Chris and I went a-walking - to find Twinings tea shop. It is the oldest shop in London and still in the same location it has always been in. It was small, quaint, and easy to miss if you weren't looking for it. Seriously, I didn't see it the first or the second time. I had to take a triple take before I saw it. Yes, very small. We looked for about 30 minutes and all came out with tea. i bought several tea bags of different flavors to try so I know what to get the next time I go there. It was not expensive at all. You'd think that it would be since it is being sold in the actual store instead of some place like ASDA or Sainsbury or TESCO. But cheap is good. One bag for 15 pence is really good!! And it is so worth it. I've already tried one bag of tea and it was SOOO SOO SOOO good!! I have GOT to get some of it.

So, now I am sitting in the flat relaxing again but needing to do homework. Oh well, I love London and everything it has to offer. I am so happy here.

I got to talk to my parents for the first time since I have been in Europe and it was nice to hear their voices. They were so excited to talk to me! Yay! I really am having the time of my life here.

No one fear
I love being here :-)

Cheers!

No comments: