6.02.2015

7 years later, I'm finally going back!


I cannot actually express my excitement for getting to return to Europe because it's not real for me yet.  I haven't packed a shred of clothing, gotten currency, or practiced any of the language.  I almost can't believe it.  Like... yeah.

This time around, I'm going with a group of people I have never met or have gone to school with.  I had signed up for this trip in February of 2014 with the intention of going with a fellow HU teacher friend.  About 2 months ago, I found out that she is no longer going - so I'm all alone.  But that's okay.  I can meet people :-)  The group is small - 6 people total and I'm 1 of 2 adults and the only one who has been to Europe, at least to my knowledge.  

I'll be gone for 2 weeks.  Not the stellar 5 weeks or 3 months like I've done before but I'll take it.  I've been to just about all the places we're going, except Switzerland.  And I'm super pumped about that.  Yeah!  I'll be visiting The Eiffel Tower, Munich, Neuschwanstein Castle, Venice, and Dachau as well as other places I don't remember.  France, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, and possibly Austria.  But that one may be later this year.

Oh, yeah, I'm going AGAIN later this year.  Hehe!  To the Czech Republic, Germany, and Austria with the ANC Choir.  Seems like when I go, I have to go multiple times within the same year.  I guess that's just how I roll.

This time around we are staying in hotels.  I'm not complaining but I think I'd rather stay in a hostel.  For one, they're cheaper and you get to meet tons of other people from around the world.  I'd never trade my experiences in a hostel for anything.

Of course, I was single then, too, so that might have had something to do with it.  I'll never know.

Hubby is not going with me on this first trip but he is going on the one in December.  Pretty sure he's excited because he's never been to Europe before.  I know choir director Keith is super pumped we're going.  But enough about December, that's 7 months away.

I'm leaving for France on Thursday!  Going to visit the sister-in-law in Nashville on Wednesday and flying out of there Thursday afternoon with a group of strangers who, I'm sure, will become good friends by the end of the trip.  I've been in close contact with the trip leader and we're both excited about this but also anxious because some of our group have never been away from home or ridden an airplane before.  Talk about a kick in the pants...  I think it will be a wonderful opportunity for them and we will all come back changed and better people.

I'm sure many are wondering why, a poor teacher, would spend so much money on a trip like this.  The answer: because I can and because I may never get another opportunity.  As a teacher, I believe in lifelong learning.  For me, I am a kinesthetic learner - so I have to do in order to learn.  Traveling is one of those "do" things that allows me to learn about the world around me.  Why?  Because it's fascinating!  I love learning about new cultures, specifically having to be immersed in such cultures.  One can learn SO many things just by immersion.  Speaking as one who educates for a living, if I could immerse my kids in learning, they would be SO much better off!  Unfortunately, I cannot do that for many reasons.  BUT!  I can do that myself - so I do.  One of the many perks of not having kids is that I have that sort of flexibility.  And I LOVE that sort of flexibility.  If I could get paid to learn and travel, even if just for a little while, I would absolutely LOVE it!  Every opportunity that I can take to experience other cultures, people, food, etc. I will take if I can.

Just so this doesn't get too long and dreary, I will stop here.  Keep up with my travels!  I will TRY and post something each day but I can make absolutely no promises.  Wish me luck and safe travels!

P.S. I have Skype now, so if you want me to contact you while I'm away, just add me. NarcolepticNinja07

Corny, I know :-)

Also, if you want me to send you a postcard, either Facebook message me or send me a Skype message with your address and I will do my best to send you a greeting :-)

See everyone in two weeks!!!  Cheers!

No comments: