6.05.2008

The end of Week 1

A whole week has gone by in the schools. Almost unreal. Time goes by fast in the "real world" as Mr. Wood calls it.

Honestly, today was not very exciting. It was activities day on campus today. Most of the activities were off campus, which was sad because those were all the things that I would have wanted to do. Oh well. So, our day started off with breakfast as usual. Mr. Wood drove us to school again and we got there in good time this time. We were not late. WaHoO! Kurt and I went to the games gym because we were going to observe. What we thought would be a semi-enjoyable day turned into a nightmare. Well, not really, but it was a situation that was not handled in a suitable way. Here's how it went:

Kurt and I got to the gym at about 8:40 when the students were supposed to be in their activities locations. We stood outside with the kids (they were all boys... go figure I'd pick the group with all boys, lol) until almost 9:30 when the supervising teacher arrived. Both Kurt and I were pretty peeved that the teacher had the nerve to show up late. Then they had to set up everything, which was supposed to have been done by 8:30 that morning. Then, to make things worse for the poor children who were getting pretty restless, they only let in boys two-by-two that also had game systems and let them set them up. That took another 15 minutes. It was almost 10:00 by the time everyone was in there. Let me tell ya, that was frustrating as all get out. Both Kurt and I felt it could have been handled better and in a more efficient way than it was. From 10 until about 11:15, we walked around the gym and kept an eye on the guys playing and got quite distracted by the Guitar Hero expert playing kid. He's played Guitar Hero so much, he would play sections on expert with his eyes closed, backwards, and other forms of not looking at the screen... I decided that these kids have too much time on their hands and not enough homework. I can help fix that :-)

Kurt and I went on break and decided to find some thing else to go watch. About the only other thing we could find was Cinema - just movie watching. That was fine with the both of us. I took a detour to the history department to see if they needed me for something and I walked out with textbooks and ideas for my lesson. Woot! Got something accomplished today!

After that, I made my way through the maze of confusing corridors to the Drama room for the movie. They were watching Click. I have never seen it, but now I know how it ends. ... Not sure I need to see the rest of it. That was about the extent of the day. We got lunch and were out of there on the bus. Yeah...

Monday will be an adventure because all the high school kids will be back on campus and I get to really start my job. I can't tell you how excited I am about it! I have 3 weeks left and SOO much to do! I can make it. I can make it. :-)

We are going to the highlands this weekend and to Loch Ness Lake. You know, the one with the monster in it? Yeah. Totally get to see it! GAH!!! I will tell you all about it when I can. I don't know if I will have internet access this weekend, but I will try to keep you guys up to date as much as possible.

Oh, and just in case you didn't know, I miss everyone back in the States. Oh, I LOVE being here. The people are SOO sweet and I feel quite at home here. It's wonderful. I'm getting used to the language and how these people talk, but it's still hard to understand them sometimes. I have to listen really hard, and even when I do that, I might have to ask them to repeat themselves... 5 or 6 times... Nah. Not that many, but I'm sure they think I have a hearing impediment because Americans talk slow, and therefore listen slow. Psh... stereotypes. Oh, well. You get labeled everywhere you go. I'm quite used to it.

Until next time my loves!

Cheers and Cheerio! (not Cheerios...)

Aimee

No comments: